2.8.11

another American hoax: 'the pursuit of happiness"

Last month's cover article in the Atlantic was about how the cult of self esteem is ruining our kids (http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine). I've been thinking about the pursuit of happiness and happiness as a goal. I don't think I like the word. I looked it up: eudaemonia is a Greek word commonly translated as happiness, however "human flourishing" is a more accurate translation. "Human flourishing" sounds like something that can include the timely depths that are needed to bring reflection, change, and satisfaction in people's lives. I don't think happiness is my goal and I am going to stop mindlessly participating in its constant promotion. I think compassion is a better personal campaign and it will probably lead to more human flourishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment